Wednesday, January 21, 2009

fine romance

i know i said i loved you but i'm thinking i was wrong-- 
i'm the first to admit that i'm still pretty young. And i never meant to hurt you when i wrote you ten love songs. Because lately i'm losing sight of you and i, 
We are slowly slipping from my brain and your every feature is turning into him. 
i'm scrambling and rambling trying to hold onto you, but lately, i can't even look you in the eye.  
i am pressing and resting
out on the couch 
in the middle of the room
but there is another soul folded into mine and there is no room on the couch for you.
--later, you say
--later, i say
but how much later until you are just a mirage in my head and i am stuck stumbling through the sand dunes of the sahara? i'll raise my hand to my eyes and scan the mountains for you, but i'll never get past the desert between. 
--don't you drown, now.
--but i can't swim in sand, darlin.
i can't swim in sand and the golden bits of glass will whip and hail into my eyes and dry my tongue. 
the desert will drown me.

No comments:

Post a Comment